Wen Hair Care Boston Leads To Hair Loss

As a seasoned hairstylist and a hair product junkie, I had to test Wen Hair Care on myself and clients.  I appreciate Wen's tremendous marketing and infomercial, but not all hair products are for everyone and it is just that simple.

Wen Hair Care is a Cleansing Conditioner, an all-in-one product which is sulfate free.  I am an advocate of sulfate free products because harsh detergents are eliminated which lead to dry hair.  I decided to test  Wen Hair Care for 2 months on 3 types of hair textures; African American hair, normal hair and oily hair.

My clients of African American descent, that have relaxed hair, did benefit from Wen Hair Care in the short term because their hair and scalp tends to be dry. But in the long term their scalp was not healthy!  Wen does not properly cleanse the scalp and can clog the hair follicle which prohibits hair growth.  In the long term their scalp was not properly cleansed and we needed to resort to deep cleansing and scalp massage to promote healthy hair growth.

The Normal hair client with average hair density had about a week or so of shiny hair, but after that their hair became limp and dull. After a month, she began to feel that her hair was less abundant and over conditioned.  Her hair would not hold a curl or set and she felt the need to wash more often.  The more she washed the greasy her hair became!  Her scalp also felt itchy and started to flake from too much product build up.  She thought she experienced hair loss, but she did not ~ she just had limp hair!

The Oily hair client could not take Wen for more than 2 weeks!  Her hair was excessively oily and looked wet on a daily basis!  We had to do some in salon mineral removal treatments to bring her hair back to life!

Do I think Wen Hair Care or other cleansing conditioners lead to hair loss?  I believe that it can if used daily over time.  Cleansing Conditioners are fine to use on dry, curly hair - possibly one shampoo out of 3 for optimal results.  But normal to fine hair clients are better off not using them at all with the exception of bleached or chemically damaged hair.

There are many high quality sulfate free shampoos that will render healthier hair without clogging hair follicles and creating horribly limp hair.

Also, Wen's Automatic Ship policy makes it very difficult to stop using the product!  When I canceled my Wen account, I was shipped 2 extra shipments that were impossible to return!  I have read online reviews where people complain about the Auto Ship and customer service Wen provides.

If you want to try a Cleansing Conditioner you can purchase one at a drug store such as CVS or Walgreens.  It is a quarter of the cost and a great way to test the product without emptying your pockets.
Below is my best recommendation L'Oreal EverCreme, use it a few times and see what you think.

In conclusion, don't fall prey to Wen's marketing hype and proceed with caution.  Do use sulfate free shampoos without giving away your credit card information.  Feel free to leave your comments!

What did you think of this article?

Trackbacks
  • No trackbacks exist for this post.
Comments

• 6/4/2013 4:11 AM Charles McDaniel wrote:
    I appreciate this information, as I was looking for some high end or sulfate free hair care products for my wifw as she is always fussing about her hair (in a good way), she always works at keeping herself presentable (as she puts it) for me, I love her as she is, but if helping her find good hair care products that she will love and benefit from then I am all in. I was worried about the Wen hair care products as they have shifted their airings to the late night, early morning air times and that raised some red flags for me. Thanks for the information.
    A devoted and loving husband of 40 GREAT years.

Hi Charles:

It does my heart good to hear there are such devoted husband's like you.  If your wife's hair is fine - I would not suggest Wen hair care.  Not to mention, they automatically ship you knew product that she may not need.  Try a good sulfate free shampoo such as Lanza Healing Products.  She will love it.  Best of everything,

Noelle
  • 6/10/2013 4:21 PM Mariah Brown wrote:
    I am very happy that I found this review as I was given some WEN from a friend that didn't have the time as she has a small child. I was looking up information about the product and found mostly horribly scary reviews. I have thick, curly and frizzy hair that is most of the time completey unmanagable. Your review gave me some great information about the product. I will try it but will also not use it as my only hair care product, but I do wonder what you would recommend for my hair type. I've tried so many things and they don't work, any ideas would be great. Thank you.

Hi Mariah:

Thanks for your comment and I think you have the hair that Wen works best on.  As you know, I do not think you should solely use Wen, as they recommend.  I do think it initially will help your hair and fine to add to your shampoo/conditioner products.  Also, you could pick up some organic coconut oil and add a teaspoon to a conditioner of your choice.  Comb it through clean damp hair and let stand for a few minutes and then rinse.  Coconut oil is a natural and affordable way to add moisture to  frizzy hair.  You can also use it alone as a leave in.  Let me know how things turn out.

Noelle
  • 6/17/2013 1:48 PM Leslie wrote:
    One use of Wen resulted in at least a 25% overall hairloss. My hair is thick and I can know see my scalp at the top of my head. My hairline has a big loss on one side of my face and there is another very thin spot at the back of my head, fortunately covered by hair. It is also very dry. My daughter, a cosmetologist and my hair person, confirmed my suspicions of hair loss. I am sick about this! I can only hope it grows back but I am stuck this summer with being self conscious about pulling my hair back or putting it up because of the receding hairline I've been left with. One use did this.

Thank you for sharing this information.  I was unaware that one use could do this to your hair -I know the long term affects can lead to hair loss.  I hope all goes well.

Noelle
    1. 12/31/2013 7:17 AM Lorriann wrote:
      Add me to the list of people experiencing hair loss from Wen. I am sick about it. I am 45 years old, and my naturally curly, thick hair has been losing volume and thickness. It took me 6 months to connect the Wen product and stop using it. I thought, "Well, that's just what happens when you get older." A friend of mine looked up several of the ingredients of Wen--some of them have been banned in Europe because of their toxicity. I would not recommend it for any hair type. If I had known there was even a slight chance I'd lose hair, I'd have never, ever tried it!
  • 6/26/2013 8:13 PM Mary wrote:
    I'm African American and I cannot find a product to help my hair grow my hair falls out a lot manly when I brush it and when I used a leave in moisturizer it falls alot what do u recommend I use I have tired everything and im looking for help it have alot of split ends I tryed to cut it to see if that will help it to grow

It is important to know if you have a relaxer or wear your hair natural.  I would start with weekly hair treatments and a monthly protein treatment.  If you stopped relaxing you could experience hair loss or if you over relax your hair you could loose it too.  I suggest using an oil on your scalp such as rosemary oil mixed with olive oil, approx 1 tsp of each.  It is important to massage the oils into your scalp for at least 20 minutes to stimulate hair growth.  also add a teaspoon/tablespoon of coconut oil to your hair conditioner.  Let it set for at least an hour and then wash.  I do love a product with Shea Butter called Saryna Key which can be purchased online.  This is a shampoo and conditioner made of African Shea Butter and their is a monthly spray in keratin treatment that you use to strengthen your hair.  Keep in mind, using protein too often can also damage your hair.

Feel free to write back and let me know if there are any chemicals in your hair.  Good luck!

Noelle
    1. 11/1/2013 2:49 PM Debra wrote:
      I am caucasian and lost a lot of hair when I lost a lot of weight. Glad the weight's gone but still working on my hair. I'm taking Biotin, D3, and Hair Skin & Nail vitamins. They have helped tremendously. Through breakage, my hair is a lot shorter than it used to be. I've tried several different shampoos & conditioners. My hair is extra curly, course, and frizzy too. I have thought about Wen but ran across your site as I was researching. What would you recommend? Thank you by the way for offering this advise.

When you have rapid weight loss, it may take 6 months to a year for it to come back.  Diet is essential and up your protein and Biotin is essential as a supplement.  Remember to massage your hair, and you can mix 1 part rosemary oil to 1/2 part olive oil (not for pregnant or breastfeeding women).  Apply to scalp after washed and towel dried.  Massage for at least 5 minutes.  Do this weekly,  you should notice results in a month or so.

Noelle
  • 9/13/2013 8:17 PM kit wrote:
    I enjoy wen it has done wonders for my hair I guess some people can't use wen.
  • 9/20/2013 4:04 AM Brittney wrote:
    Wen Hair Care sounds great a sulfate free all in one product and it reduces hair loss. Thanks for the information that some hair products that has a sulfate which leads the hair to be dry because of the harsh detergents.
  • 10/2/2013 2:14 AM Brittney wrote:
    I am happy that i found this site, to know how take care of my hair is a great idea for me.High end or sulfate free hair care products is perfect .Thanks for sharing this.

Thanks for your comment and engaging in our blog!

Noelle
  • 10/5/2013 3:02 AM Diane wrote:
    I started using WEN and nothing but WEN for a year. My waist long, natually curly, thick hair whnt to hair that looks like it has been chewed of and it has broken off to my shoulds. I plan to stop using it all togeter to see if I get MY natural hair back. So help me if this caused by WEN I will spread the news all over the internet. I loved my long hair. It was the longest I had ever grown it. I( reserving my pissed offnest to see the outcome of the test.

You are not alone in your experience, daily use of WEN is just to fatty for the hair.  Start clarifying and deep cleansing your scalp.
  • 10/27/2013 8:23 AM Michelle M wrote:
    Uh... I've been using Wen for about a year. Correction:I wasted my hard earned money on wen for about a year. I purchased that huge $200. salon sized supply from QVC (fig). I JUST couldnt stop using it since I couldn't get a refund. My scalp is [still] so irritated . Always itching and burning.to the point that I now scheduled an appointment with a dermatologist, cut most of it off because it's nasty looking and thin like a stray dog's fur. I have been using it on my daughter's hair as well. She is now six years old. My baby's hair was so unmanageable...very long (almost to butt) and very thick and curly. My hair is curly (or was) and thick but manageable. Needless to say I was extremely happy when after a month or so of using Wen, my daughter's hair became extremely manageable. Her curls loosened up. It was a bit confusing but I thought "hmm...did her hair texture change? Naw...this wen is really good for her hair". Well...fast fwd to one yr later...I decided to put her hair in a ponytail (usually out with one of her thousands of headbands) OMG...WE BOTH EXPERIENCED EXTREME HAIR LOSS! I see her scalp around her hairline as do I see mine! I already made plans to see a hair loss specialist due to my extremely thinning hair but now my baby? My beautiful, bubbly baby girl going bald? Please...if you use this product...do so at your own risk but DO NOT USE ON KIDS! I even called the wen # to ask if it was ok for kids to use before she ever used it...they recommend using in children! Never again.

This seems to be common with prolonged use of wen hair care.  I suggest using a deep cleansing shampoo and vigorously massaging your hair to get your hair back to normal.  In most cases, the damage is temporary.  Best of luck,
    Noelle
  • 11/2/2013 9:13 PM Eva wrote:
    I used to have long thick hair and after watching the commercial on tv I decided to give wen a try although my hair was shiny and I didn't need to use it but out of stupidity decided to give it a try... I received the box in the mail and decided to try it..... Used it for two week and OMG WARNING WARNING WARNING PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS HORIBLE PRODUCT!!!!!!! My hair started falling out in clumps and this was back in august (3months ago) and it still is I am almost out of hair on my head... As I Said my hair was THICK!!! I don't know what to do anymore I even went to a dermotoligist and got many vitamins prescribed and still nothing, tried using a tea tree shampoo to cleanse my scalp and still hair is falling out like crazy... I don't know what to do anymore... Anybody that used this HORIBLE product and had the same results what did you do to stop the hair loss???? please help me!!! Please!!!!

Hi there:

I so agree,  I would start using a home remedy of 1 part rosemary oil with 1/2 part olive oil (do not use if pregnant or breastfeeding.  Massage into washed/damp hair and shampoo.  Use this once to twice a week and be sure to massage for 5 minutes.  Also, Biotin is a great supplements, if you do not already have it.  Let me know how things turn out.

1. 12/25/2013 10:43 PM Laura wrote:
      Wen Hair Loss

Wen made my hair fall out.
      I found out why.
      My hair is growing back.
      My hairline is filling in.
      (after 2 years of hair loss, I started to have Sir Isaac Newton's hairline.)

Mix 1/2 teaspoon of Monistat (yes- yeast cream)
      with
      2 tablespoons of Water

Add to scalp ( non greasy) with a dye applicator bottle. Gently it in where there might be any residue. Leave it on til next shampoo. (2-3 days for my long hair at age 49). It is starting to look lustrous again and not all droopy and weird.

I do not yet know the frequency of maintinance.
      I am posting this as a public service.

Stop the shedding. My hair slowed shedding in the first application and now is normal 25 hairs per wash. It was coming out in clumps up to 200 or more hairs each time. Wen made my hair fall out.
      I found out why.
      My hair is growing back.
      My hairline is filling in.
      (after 2 years of hair loss, I started to have Sir Isaac Newton's hairline.)

The reason why is because it wasn't cleaning and the yeast that lives on the scalp was proliferating and creating loss etc.   Yeast consumes sebum to love. It wasn't washing the sebum away

Mix 1/2 teaspoon of Monistat  (yes- yeast cream)
      with
      2 tablespoons of Water

I do not yet know the frequency of maintinance.
      I am posting this as a public service.

Stop the shedding! My Hair slowed shedding in the first application and now is normal 25 hairs per wash.  It was coming out in clumps up to 200 or more hairs each time.

I don't have time to answer questions-just spreading the word. You can too!

Let's love one another.
  • 11/3/2013 10:27 AM Cassie wrote:
    Hi Noelle. I am African American with thick, slightly wavy hair. My hair definitely gets dry and frizzy at times. I have been relaxer free for 2 almost 2 years. I usually go to a salon and have my hair washed, blow-dry and flat-ironed, but it seems as if it is changing my hair texture. I am looking to try and wear my natural curl-pattern. I am using shampoos with keratin, but want to know what I should do. Are there any sulfate-free shampoos for African-American hair? Do you recommend that I stop flat-ironing and do roller-sets?

Oh yes roller sets vs. flat iron will make a huge difference.  In addition, it is important to use a product that promotes moisture ~ I good home remedy is coconut oil.  Use it on your hair after washed and it is damp.  Sleep overnight and then wash out.

Good luck!
    Noelle
  • 1/5/2014 1:21 AM Lari wrote:
    I hate WEN. I discontinued after 6 months.It gave me really bad dandruff which I never had before I tried it! Its been at least a month that Im struggling with this! This is outrageous! When I was using it made my hair fall out like crazy. Also 5 months down the line my hair was super greasy. Oh and I can't leave out the itch! Limp as described above its horrible. I don't know what to do any more other than to go to the dermatologist! Since the head and shoulders isn't helping as much Im still itchy and can't afford not to shower daily due to the flaking!